After you have made up your mind to go for an adoption, you will need to find out the steps of the adoption process. The steps are the utmost crucial at this beginning stage. This is true because by knowing the exact steps you would need to take; it will help you save a lot more time and effort before the adopted child is legally part of your family.
Below are the simple steps you should take when going about adopting a child.
1. The first step one should take in the adoption process is to do one’s research about how to go about doing it. As the rules are different in different countries, the initial research is to find out the exact steps. Armed with more information and knowledge, the adopting family will have a better understanding of the adoption procedures before going to the next step.
2. Seek professional help from an adoption agency. Select an agency that is highly recommended to ensure good service because this agency that you have chosen serves as a guide to help you along the way towards successfully adopting your baby. A thorough check has to be done through a number of agencies before you can get one which meets your expectation. Look for testimonials from adoptive parents who had went through the similar process; their comments can give you a better understanding of the agencies they have chosen.
3. In some countries. The adoption process includes a home study. The adopting parents have to undergo this home study which determines if they are suitable to adopt a child. This stage is crucial and necessary as the counselors would want to observe and determine if the couples are ready and really serious in adopting a child.
4. After successfully complete your home study, you will have to start looking for the child you have been waiting for. At this level of the adoption process, the search should not be long as your agency will help you out in searching for a child you want.
5. When you have selected a child from your agency, the private and confidential information of the biological parents will be shown to you. During this part of the adoption process, you will be able to find out more about the adoptive child’s background and even medical history. At the same time, the court will do a final determination if you are qualified to adopt the chosen child.
6. Next step is to meet up with the adoptive child. This is crucial especially if you are adopting an older child. You have to get to know the adopting child better and personally. Make sure the child is comfortable with you and let him or her feel your love towards him or her.
7. Once the court has cleared and approved your application, the child is ready to stay with you. During this final stage, a new birth certificate will be issued to the child. If the child is from another country, you will have to apply for a citizenship to be issued.
8. Last but not least, welcome the adoptive child to your family. The adoption process ends here, but the challenges continue as you will have to start building bonds with the adoptive child.
Going through the adoption process successfully is not easy. However, if you have made up your mind, you should go all out for the adoption. With persistence, commitment and patient, the route towards adopting a child would be a smooth and easy one.